Handling the accounts and finances for a small or a large business can be quite a work! To make things easier and much organized – QuickBooks has been established as excellent software that handles the transactions and manages the finances by making the accounting features a lot simpler. It has gained popularity because of its user-friendly interface and software that meets the needs of every customer. However, no matter how efficient a software program is, it is always prone to minor errors or technical glitches. One such error that has been faced by a lot of customers is the QuickBooks error H202.
Encountering an error at an unexpected time can waste a lot of time for a user when he/she does not know what the error is and what is causing it. To help you with all these queries, this guide will explain to you what the QuickBooks error H202 is, what causes it, and what are some of the effective methods in which you can fix QuickBooks H202 errors.
What is the QuickBooks error H202?
QuickBooks also offers a multi-user mode for the users which allows them to access files across various computers that are linked to a common server. QuickBooks error H202 usually occurs when a user is trying to access a company file on their desktop using a multi-user mode. Many users report that they encountered QuickBooks error code H202 while trying to switch to single-user mode shifting from the multi-user mode.
The message that pops up on the screen says “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting”. What this loosely translates to is that the multi-user connection that the user had with its server has now been blocked due to some reasons, which is why QuickBooks can no longer access the files on another computer within the QB network.
Why does the QuickBooks H202 error occur?
When a connection between the server of the QB network and your system has been lost, the QuickBooks H202 error occurs. Some of the reasons that give rise to QuickBooks error H202, as suggested by the experts at QB are as follows –
- The hosting settings on your system or the main server have not been configured properly.
- Incorrect DNS settings such as a faulty DNS server address has been entered or the address mentioned does not exist. This causes a conflict with the DNS server.
- The network data file used by the user has been damaged or corrupted.
- An Antivirus program or malware installed in your system can be blocking QuickBooks from accessing the data file in your system.
- The IP address of the server or the host has not been registered with the QuickBooks desktop.
- The database server manager of QuickBooks has some issues and is not functioning properly.
- Some crucial services such as QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor are not running ideally.
How would you know if you are facing the QuickBooks H202 error?
To recognize if you are being encountered with a QuickBooks H202 error while using the multi-user mode in your system, you may lookout for some of these ‘symptoms’ that would recognize the QuickBooks error code H202 –
- You are unable to access a company file located on another computer of the QB network.
- QuickBooks might freeze for a few minutes while you are using it or it might stop working every few seconds.
- You are unable to switch to the single-user mode from a multi-user mode and vice versa.
- Your Windows system is working slower as compared to before.
- You will see the QuickBooks H202 error pop-up message.
Once you have identified the QuickBooks error code H202 and know what has been causing it, you will easily understand what troubleshooting tips you can try out to resolve the QuickBooks H202 error.
How to fix the QuickBooks error code H202?
Upon encountering the QuickBooks error code H202 users often face trouble as they do not understand what causes it and how to fix it. This results in a lot of time wastage and makes the user frustrated too. We advise you to follow the troubleshooting tips suggested below or contact the QuickBooks support team who can help you fix QuickBooks error code H202 without wasting any time.
- Connect to your Workstation and ping them about QuickBooks 2012 error code H202 –
This is one step that you will have to follow every time you are faced with H202 error mode QuickBooks. When you ping your workstation about encountering QuickBooks 2012 error code H202, they will ensure that there are no connectivity issues from their end or will help you register your system again in case it hasn’t been registered with the main server of the QB network. To do so, follow these steps –
- Go to the Start menu of the server computer or the workstation system facing the QuickBooks 2012 error code H202 error.
- In the search bar, type ‘Network’ and open the Network and Sharing Centre settings on the device.
- Tap on the Change Advanced Settings option in this section.
- Here, turn on the ‘File and Printer Sharing’ and ‘Network Discovery’ options.
- Now, open the Run command and enter ‘CMD’ into it.
- Once the CMD window appears on your screen, enter ‘ipconfig/all’.
- You can find the server name right next to the text hostname.
- Note down the server and hostnames.
- Test the server again by moving your device to the workstation.
- Again open the CMD window using the Run command on your system and enter ‘ping underscore your server name’.
- This is an excellent QuickBooks H202 error fix that works on every system.
- Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool for QuickBooks H202 error fix –
To resolve the H202 error mode QuickBooks you can also use the File Doctor Tool by QB as follows –
- Download and install the QB File Doctor Tool.
- By selecting the company file issues, you can open the tool.
- From the given drop-down menu, select the company file.
- If you cannot locate your company file in the list, you can enter the file name in the browse section.
- Check the box next to your system file and tap the Continue button.
- Enter the admin password for your QuickBooks account and click the Next tab.
- It takes up to 5 minutes for the tool to identify and fix H202 error mode QuickBooks.
- Delete and create a new .ND file –
You can also try to delete and then recreate the .ND file to fix H202 error QuickBooks 2019. .ND files store the network configuration of the QuickBooks application and are responsible for maintaining the connection between the server and the system. Hence, if you delete the existing .ND file and recreate a new one, it will automatically develop a fresh connection which will fix the H202 error QuickBooks 2019.
To do so, follow these set of instructions carefully –
- In the Windows search bar enter ‘*.nd’ and hit the enter key.
- Once you locate the file, delete it.
- Now, move to All Programs and select the QuickBooks program.
- Move to the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and click on the ‘Scan Folder’ option.
- Press the ‘Add Folder’ option and search for the company file.
- Once identified, click on Ok.
- Click on the Scan button to initiate the scanning process.
- After the scan has been completed, click on the Close button.
This will fix your issue and you no longer have to face the QuickBooks H202 multi-user mode error.
Other related post:- Quickbooks Error 3371
- Verify the QuickBooks hosting to fix the QuickBooks H202 multi-user mode error –
You can also get rid of error H202 in QuickBooks by simply verifying QB hosting. To do this –
- Open the QuickBooks program on the hosting system.
- Click on the File option once you enter the program.
- Tap on the ‘Utilities’ option after that.
- Access the list of ‘Host Multi-user’ and check whether this system is hosting the file or not.
- Users are advised not to change any workstation system settings.
- Click on the ‘Stop hosting multi-user access’ option if you see it.
- Close the company file and click on the ‘Yes’ option.