Planning a trip with family and friends? But confused about last minute cancellations and refunds? Well worry no more! American airlines are known for it customer-centric terms and policies that make cancellations easier and convenient for its customers. American airlines cancellation policy makes the process of refunds and booking adjustments easier.
If you are wondering about how you can go through the process of American airlines cancel flight, and how to cancel American airlines flight, if you unfortunately have to cancel your flight for some reason, this blog will answer all your queries.
Are American airlines tickets refundable?
Well, the answer is yes! The American airlines cancellation policy allows the customers to cancel their air tickets which are refundable. However, there are some terms and conditions of the AA refund policy that you shall know. These are as follows –
- All kinds of tickets that you may book at American airlines are completely refundable within 24 hours of booking the ticket, up till at least 2 days before the time-of-flight departure as per the American airlines cancellation policy and the American airline refund policy
- Tickets that fall under the category of ‘refundable’ can be easily cancelled to avail full refund at any time after booking. The customer can do so by simply requesting an online refund from the American airlines or by directly contacting the reservations department.
- For those air tickets that come under the ‘non-refundable’ group, the customer is allowed to cancel and ask for refund of the flight within the first 24 hours after booking, according to the AA cancellation policy. Although, in case the customer decides to cancel the flight hours before departure, even though they would not be eligible for refund they can utilize the eligible fares of flight to a future trip they take with American airlines. The only condition is that this offer shall be availed within one year’s time period.
How to cancel American airlines flight?
Once you are aware of what the American airlines flight cancellation policy is all about and what category does your ticket fall under, you can easily start the cancellation process following the American airlines cancellation policy. To cancel the American airlines flight ticket, follow the given steps –
- Log in to your account of American airlines using the correct username and password.
- Select the option ‘Your trips/ Check in’ from the homepage.
- Now select the trip that you wish to cancel and click on the ‘Cancel Booking; button.
- You will now see a confirmation dialogue box asking you to confirm your decision of cancelling your American airlines flight ticket.
- Once you confirm your cancellation, your booking will be cancelled officially and you shall receive a voucher for any remaining cancellation fee.
Apart from this, you can also contact the reservations department directly at the American airlines by giving a call on 800-433-7300.
American airlines covid cancellation policy
Due to the covid-19 pandemic, American airlines has allowed its customers to now make unlimited changes to their air tickets with no change charges, except for the extra fare charges in case of destination changes. As per the American airlines cancellation policy covid customers can change and even rebook their air tickets a day later, except for the Business economy class. The change fees for all the Business, Premium Economy, first, and main cabin tickets according to the American airlines cancellation policy 2024 has been waived off for the domestic and the short-haul international flights for those flight tickets booked on or after 31 August 2020. Similarly, long-haul international flights that are booked on or after 19 November 2020 are also eligible for this offer. For all the award tickets as well, American airlines has waived off the change and cancellation fee according to the American airlines covid cancellation policy.
Yes, American airlines refundable tickets are available unless they fall under the category of ‘non-refundable’ tickets.
Yes, if you cancel your flight within the first 24 hours after booking or at least 2 days before your flight date, you can cancel your American airlines flight and get a refund.
The rules for American airlines basic economy cancellation are a little different. You can only cancel basic economy American tickets within 24 hours according to the American airlines cancel within 24 hours policy of your booking. You cannot cancel the flight after that. You can request for an American airlines basic economy refund only under rare circumstances.
If you cancel your flight within the specified time allowed, you are eligible for a refund. However, if you cancel after that, you won’t be eligible for the cancellation refund.
To cancel an American airlines ticket, it might cost you between $75 for domestic flights within the USA up to $400 for international flights.
Yes, you can cancel your American airlines ticket within 24 hours regardless of the type of your ticket as per the American airlines 24-hour cancellation policy.
Yes, American airlines offer refundable tickets to its customers.
The time varies between 6-7 business days in case you booked your flight using a credit card to 19-20 business days if the purchase was done using cash payment.
It shall be clearly mentioned in your ticket and before booking if your flight ticket is refundable or not. In case of any confusion you can always call the reservations department of American airlines.
If you have booked on or after 31 August/ 15 November 2020 no matter when you cancel your flight, you are eligible for a refund.
No, American airlines offers you credit only in exchange for cancellation sometimes as flight exchange credits, compensation, and refunds.
Yes, but only if you cancel your booking within 24 hours.
You would not receive any refund.